rod fluker . architect
426 marietta street nw #302 . atlanta, ga usa 30313
+1 404 394 3138 . firstname.lastname@example.org
First Congregational Addition _ Atlanta, Georgia
We were asked to participate as a design consultant in developing conceptual ideas for a 5,000sf addition to the historic First Congregational Church, UCC in downtown Atlanta.
The church was founded in 1867, and is one of the oldest African American Congregational Churches in the United States. The current structure, completed in 1908, is located at the corner of Courtland Street and J.W. Dobbs Avenue. It is on the National Registry of Historic Places.
We developed ideas for the parking, site, and new east entry of the addition. In contrast to the solid massing of the existing structure and most of the addition, the church wanted a glass atrium space to reflect the progression of the church.
The atrium space connects the existing structure to the program functions of the new addition, and provides a new clear path to access the main sanctuary from the east side. By making enclosing exterior walls, members and guests can literally see the growth and development of the church over time.